FIRST EGG

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WafflesNTimmy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. WafflesNTimmy

WafflesNTimmy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    She did it! She laid two eggs! I'm such a proud momma. She actually fell in the window well last night before bed (don't know how, there's a cover) and my sister rescued her and put her away because I wasn't home. Went in the house to check for injuries (she's fine) and there were her first two eggs!!!!
    Are they supposed to have a certain smell?

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    A certain smell? I'll be honest, I've talked with my chickens, played with them, make noises, but I've never once smelled their eggs.... I do know they are not supposed to smell strongly or bad.

3. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Does it have an unusual smell?

4. WafflesNTimmy

Jan 26, 2016
    It made my hands smell a little fishy. I cracked it open to make sure it was normal. That may have been due to the fact that it had a bit of poop on it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    grats on the egg :).

My eggs don't have a smell on the outside.

My girls eggs that have cracked shells (happens in the cold weather up here sometimes) have a kind of acidic vinegary smell. I can smell those even when i don't see any visible cracks on the shells.

My girls just stated laying but so far I've only ever had one egg that was pungent. She went a little nuts for the laying herbs they got for Christmas. That one egg definitely smelled like the oregano/basil/etc. in that mix. Good thing I used it a big Greek omelet that morning.

6. WafflesNTimmy

Jan 26, 2016
    that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the help! It was cracked and out in the cold.

7. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Did it also taste fishy? I've read that eggs really high in omega 3s can have a fishy taste. Eating certain foods can cause it too. Higher omega 3s is also why some fish have a fishier taste.

(I've learned so much about eggs in the last year.)

8. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    As long as you think it isnt spoiled you can feed the cracked eggs right back to your flock or other pets. My dogs hate eggs[​IMG] so i just steam them and feed them back to the ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by