First egg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justus80, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Justus80

Justus80 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    I started out with an already laying flock of chickens. After purchasing them I decided I wanted more so I went to my local Tractor Supply and bought a couple black sex-link pullets. They're about 15 weeks or so now and I think one may have just laid its first egg. But the egg is really small so I don't know what else to make of it. It's obvious the pullets aren't full grown yet when comparing them to the other hens I have. Is it too early for them to be laying already? Is this because I've been allowing them to eat the egg layer feed with my other hens for the past month? Please look at the picture below. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    I'm also a newbie but I've read that first eggs are usually small, and it can take quite a while until she lays a second. But let's see what more experienced folks say!

3. Sabrina24

Sabrina24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    That looks like the 'fart egg' we got from one of our chickens while they were molting. They usually have no yolk. Also called other things like 'rooster egg.' Seems a bit early but could be a first egg though, they are a lot smaller at first. Our new chickens just started laying and they are about 6 months now.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Justus80

May 30, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    I got another one today! I also cracked open the other one to see if it had a yolk or not and it does, a little one. Take a look and tell me what you think please.[​IMG][/IMG]

5. Justus80

May 30, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    [​IMG]

6. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    What cute little egg. My new batch will hopefully be laying come October.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by