First Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by illusionznc, Sep 6, 2016.

1. illusionznc

illusionznc Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Buff Orpingtons (or rather one of them) has begun laying eggs. From what I have gathered, she is a month early. She was born April 13, 2016. She layed her first egg late yesterday evening and it was half the size of a normal "large" egg. Information I'm now coming across says Buff Orpingtons do not lay large eggs, only medium sized eggs? Others tell me they will get bigger as they lay more? Anyone have any insight on this?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In general, the first eggs that a pullet lays can be smaller than those laid once their egg-laying plumbing is up and running smoothly.

1 person likes this.
  3. illusionznc

illusionznc Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    The shell was nice and clean and very hard. It let me know she was very good on calcium.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Indeed - I'm sure your other girls will also be giving you eggs soon [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    All pullet eggs are smaller, they'll get slowly bigger.....but could take weeks to months before they are of a 'medium' or 'large' size.
    Second season they will be bigger, given good nutrition.

6. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    We have 4 pullets born 04/11/16 and we just received our first egg today so I'd venture that you are right on time. We have a RIR, Delaware, Australorp, and Dominique and I suspect the Dominique is who is laying but it is just a guess at this point.

These are my first hens but I had always heard roughly 4-6 months until first egg. 21 weeks seems reasonable to me.

I've also read that they'll ramp up to their normal size eggs once they start laying but it is a process.

In any event, congrats! First eggs are exciting! I was thrilled when we found ours earlier this evening!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. 3520

3520 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    [​IMG]First egg!Laid by my Australorp,it is small and brown.I am so egg-cited!!

1 person likes this.
  8. 3520

3520 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016

1 person likes this.
  9. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have 5 golden comets 23 weeks today. Today I got two 55 grams, two 58 grams and a 63 grams.
    They started laying between 17 1/2 to 19 weeks. The first eggs were 42,43 grams. I have also gotten 3 Jumbo eggs so far. Here's a picture of my biggest at 84 grams next to a 43 grams. GC[​IMG]

10. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    As I'm being told here..the layers will get more regular and larger eggs as their bodies work out the egg making kinks.
    Our first egg was last Tuesday, very small-measuring peewee to small range- her 2nd egg was a large to Xtra large. Golden comet was the 1st 2 or 3 layers then we got our 1st Black Australorp the other day. Occasionally medium egg pops out but still on smaller side. Our pullets are 19wks today. Orpingtons and Easter Eggers aren't laying yet. Waiting to see next layer is crazy and waiting for more regular eggs is insane too. We've got 13eggs so far
    So glad I found this post!! New egg layers are sooo exciting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by