First egg !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RooChick, Nov 1, 2016.

1. RooChick

RooChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hi everyone !
    Alice, my Golden Laced Wyandotte laid her first egg yesterday, YAY ! The first egg from my flock of 3 [​IMG]

Just wondering about the size and where I found it [​IMG]

Is this egg unusually small for a GLW ?
    The 20 cent coin in the photo is about 2.8cm / 1 inch dia.
    Alice is about 6 months old.

I had also noticed that she had dug out and arranged two of the four nest boxes, but didn't lay the egg in there.
    She decided to lay it in the middle of the coop and I found it buried with just a tiny bit of egg showing. I wasn't even sure it was an egg when I first saw it !
    Is it normal for eggs to be buried ?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help !

2. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    I know it's normal for the first egg to be small. Can't answer to why it ended up buried in the dirt though! Congrats!

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a cute pullet egg - they should get larger as she continues to lay. New layers just do weird things sometimes: laying in random places, covering eggs up. It should stop when she figures out the nest box is the right place to lay...seeing other eggs in the boxes may help encourage her. Until then, it may be like an easter egg hunt. [​IMG]

I have a GLW and she was a good (albeit surprising) broody and is a consistent layer.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  4. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]
    As stated, it's because it's a first egg. My girls just started laying about 1.5 weeks ago and the first egg I found was on the small side. Then when the second layed first egg it was small, and so on til my 4th layed first egg today, again small. I have found a couple eggs half buried in the nest boxes, covered with hay, so I'm going to say not unusual you found t half buried.
    If you don't have fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes I would recommend putting something in there to give them the idea to lay in the nest box. I am now up to 17 eggs in 11 days from my girls and all have been in the nest boxes. Good luck, and enjoy your girls!

5. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    almost all of my pullets laid their first eggs on the floor. they learned later to lay in the nest boxes. fake egg did not help but as hens prefer to lay in a dark and protected place they go to the nest boxes on their own.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yay on your first egg! Yep, those young pullets do lay small eggs and do strange things to them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by