First egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jamisonbrooks, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    I am starting a pastured egg production for me and my wife to have eggs. I bought some egglayers last Saturday and still haven’t got any eggs. I was wondering how long it would take to get the first egg? And if weather has a lot to do with is cause it has been storming here?

2. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Do you know what breeds you bought and how old they are?

3. Jamisonbrooks

Jun 12, 2018
    Not shout i think two rocky reds two whights and one Plymouth rock

4. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Were they already laying before you bought them and just stopped?

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If they were previously laying, it is normal to take a break from laying due to the stress of moving. Mine didn't lay for approximately 6 weeks when I first got them.

If they are young and have not ever laid an egg, it could take quite awhile. I've had birds lay at around 6 months of age and my latest to mature laid at 11 months of age for the first time. It all depends the bird.

Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. If you have any concerns that they may not be laying because they are unhealthy you can certainly post a picture. Also if you post a picture we might be able to take a guess on an age.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Moving is stressful for birds so even if they were laying they'll stop for a while until they get used to their new home. Since you don't know the ages it's also possible that these chickens haven't started laying yet, or (worst case scenario) are past peak of production. Did you buy them from a fairly reputable source (a breeder, a larger hatchery)?

7. Jamisonbrooks

Jun 12, 2018
    I’m new to chickens. But I do know a few things I bought them. The person i bought them from breeds them. But as far as reputable source I have nun.

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Well hopefully the breeder was honest with you about the chickens being at point of lay. It might take them up to a couple of weeks to acclimate. When I moved my chickens to a new coop (only 15 feet away from the old) it threw off their laying for about 10 days even though it was a very short move.

9. Jamisonbrooks

Jun 12, 2018
    Thank you people for your help got my first batch of eggs today.

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: