First egg!!!

B40chick

Songster
May 23, 2020
Southwest Georgia, USA
I have 5 pullets that are approximately 19 weeks. I have three Leghorns. Each are at different levels of comb development. My Light Brahma and Australorp don't have much of a comb at all. I figure this egg must be from the Leghorn with the most developed, red comb. Even though it is not pure white, am I probably right? I know first eggs are usually small. I am comparing it with a store bought large egg.
I also have 5 Bovan Browns that are a year old. They are not laying for me yet, going through a lot, I think. They would lay brown eggs. Plus, they would not be this small

Attachments

• 0629201803-1.jpg
    0629201803-1.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 0629201810-1.jpg
    0629201810-1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 4
I have no idea?? lol.. I got my first egg today as well and it is mystery as to whom laid it. I know my Amberlink is a week older than my Black Stars so I am guessing it is my Amberlink she is the most developed as far as comb being brighter and bigger.?? Sorry I am no help but yay for first egg!

My original 5 birds that I got at 4 weeks old are 19 weeks now: three Longhorns, an Australorp, and a Light Brahma.
The Bovan Browns came here a couple of weeks ago. They are from a commercial operation and are supposedly around a year old. From what I understand, they let them go through one laying cycle and many times sell them off so they don't have to feed them through a molt. They are not laying for me right now. But their combs are starting to brighten up. I don't know how long the molting process will take.

Mystery solved without having to look at butts. 😁. My largest Leghorn, Flo, is the egg layer. I guess the others will follow suit soon. Hopefully they will follow her example and go to a nesting box.

I had a two egg day today. What a surprise! By the size of it, I am pretty sure it came from one of my Bovans. I don't think a pullet would lay a large egg first time around

Attachments

• 0708201230.jpg
    0708201230.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom