1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smitty's Farm, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hello new chicken friends! I just had to share my eggciting news! One of my SL Wyandottes is finally starting to lay eggs. [​IMG]
    First one was yesterday around 11:30 am. It is soooooo cute! Perfectly formed, but so petite. Unfortunately she layed the first one one the ground, but I found it before anything could happen to it. Today the second one came later around 1:30 pm and is much bigger and she did it in the nest. Yea!!!! [​IMG]
    I will try to post a picture soon.

2. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    Congrats!!! Hopefully I will get to post my "first egg" story soon... [​IMG]

3. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Thanks Greenacre. I'm just soooo excited!!!!!!! I've been watching and waiting anxiously.
    How old are your hens and what kind do you have?

4. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    Well, my oldest is 21 weeks old today and apparently she is just trying to kill me with suspense! My 5 other babies are 12 weeks old so hopefully I will be getting enough eggs in October/November to start giving them to my VERY understanding neighbors!!! How about you? I can't wait to see your pictures [​IMG]

5. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I have 16 chickens and 1 turkey. I have 4 Silver laced Wyandotte hens and 1 surprise Silverlaced Wyandotte Roo, 6 RIR hens, and 5 Arucana hens, and 1 Bronze Breasted Turkey. They all turned 19 wks old this past Wed. I've had them since they were a day old. Ordered them from Cackle Hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by