First Egg!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i know everyone does this, but i am so excited i got my FIRST egg today, i opened up the door to the coop and to my surprise...AN EGG!!!!

[​IMG]

i almost screamed like a cheerleader lol.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    CONGRATS!!! [​IMG]

I am excited for you!

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    anyone know how long they will last refrigerated?

i plan on hatching some, but at first i'm just eating them lol. gotta build/buy an incubator

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't know if quail eggs are different than chicken eggs but chicken eggs last quite a while.

So are you making tiny sunny side up eggs? or tiny little omlets? [​IMG]

6. Congrats on the first egg.

Will your eggs really last long enough to need refrigeration? Seems like most eggs are gone within the first day or two around here. I would have no problem eating a quail egg several weeks old if it has been refridgerated.
    If your going to incubate them then only let em sit for a week to 10 days at the long end.

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Congrats on the egg/s! [​IMG] Looks like a smallish double yolk to me.

I don't know exactly how long eating eggs last in the fridge. I keep them for a max of 3-4 weeks, then throw them out or recycle them for feed-back. Hatching eggs are dis-guarded after 10 days. You kinda have to make a choice....eating/hatching.

8. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very exciting.

I got my first last Saturday~ Total of 29 so far!! I wonder when the urge to go outside and look for eggs every hour, stops. Okay, I lied, it's more like every 20 minutes...

Congrats!!!

-Jessa

9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yea i'll check mine in the morrning after i get up, thats when i add more sand in the boxes, refill food, all that good stuff, snacks are at this time as well.

then i'll check again about dusk, or after i get home from work, usually some in there. i'm guessing they get happy about more sand and treats lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by