First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by top of the hill, Sep 18, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi all! I just had to share my excitment, came home from work Friday and found a perfect little brown egg in the nest! DH and I cooked it up and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!! Big Red (RIR) is just shy of 21 weeks, hoping her sisters will follow her lead!

Here is the nest (the front egg is a fake egg, but check out that beauty in the back!)

[​IMG]

with my hand for size comparison

[​IMG]

Delicious fried up with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper

[​IMG]

and here is Big Red, so proud of my little girl!

[​IMG]

oh, and wanted to add that just a few minutes ago she laid her second! made for a delicious breakfast, can't get much fresher than that!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Amen!
    What a nice thing to find. Such a pretty eggie. I am in the [​IMG] holding pattern decided upon by my very stubborn group of silly pullets.

3. jmarshall

jmarshall Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Western NY
    I didn't see this until now, but I concur, nothing better than a fresh egg! It was so exciting when we got our first egg this summer! Currently we get about 7 a day from our 13 hens. [​IMG]

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Yay!! Congratulations! [​IMG] It's so exciting to get that first egg, I still get so happy going out to collect my eggs![​IMG] Wishing you many more!!

5. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    Yay! [​IMG]

We're still waiting on our first egg so hopefully we'll get to celebrate soon too!

6. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    YAY congrats Big Red!! [​IMG]

7. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    lol, thanks all for the good wishes! Big Red looked like she was scoping out the boxes again this morning, but I had to head to work.... I hate Mondays! Hopefully there will be a pretty little egg waiting for me when I get home [​IMG]

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    yeah! its exciting isn't it...every day is like Christmas here! My girls started laying about 3 weeks ago...some are still getting the kinks out, still getting an occasional egg with no shell.

9. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I've had my chickies for five years now,and still haven't lost the excitement over finding eggs. My appetite for them may have waned a bit, but not my happiness at collecting them.

10. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Trick-Or-Treating for adults! It is SO much fun! I rush home from work each day to check the nest (and then I usually take a photo and send it to my husband!!LOL)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by