First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CSWolffe, Oct 3, 2011.

1. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Woot! One o' my girls just laid her first egg. A small, perfectly formed brown egg!
    Didn't lay it in the nesting box, of course, that would be too easy. Laid it on TOP of the box, where they have been roosting. Installed a slopped board today to keep them off, should force them to roost on the lovely roost I provided, and hopefully she will investigate the boxes and will lay there instead of just dropping her eggs off the roost...
    Not sure if it was the RIR or the Gold Sex Link, both are squatting and both have bright red combs. Australorp and Wyandotte are not squatting and don't have developed combs.
    And as of today they are all just about 20 weeks old, give or take.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

3. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. CSWolffe

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks guys!
    No second egg this morning, so I let them out into the sun, and half an hour later there was a second small perfectly formed brown egg lying in the dirt of the pen.
    I would guess this was about 26 hours after the first egg, maybe 28. Not too bad for a beginner! Once she settles down into a regular schedule I plan on locking them in the coop till about noon, which should be long enough(hopefully) to encourage her to lay in the lovely boxes I've built for them. I still think this is my GSL, as she is about 20 weeks. The next most likely is my little RIR, who is also squatting, but I understand they lay a bit later. Wyandotte and Australorp are not even squatting yet.
    A few more weeks and I should be getting some regular eggs! It's about time too, I'm not a patient man...

5. CSWolffe

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    So far she has laid six days out of seven, and today the RIR laid her first.
    Two lovely little brown eggs, slightly different shades, nestled together in the box. What good little chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by