First Egg!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lswatson111304, Nov 5, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    We didn't expect this at all. We bought chickens about a month ago and while there DD HAD to have a baby quail. Well, we moved the chicks out of the brooder and deemed it the quail's home until we could decide what to do with her. Plans to get her a mate and such. Well, I went to change her bedding, and give her water this afternoon (just checked on her a few hours ago) and she left me an egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I screamed out in excitement and scared my husband! My Daughter is so excited she said it makes her heart happy and clapped for the quail! "Quaily" is her name! LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a question though, we of course don't want her alone. How many more should we plan to get? Is one more ok? I don't know how many quail do well together, but we don't want her lonely.
    Also, she seems very stressed out. She is pacing back and forth in the brooder. Is she ok?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    CONGRATS on the first egg!!!!

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    what a beautiful egg! wish chickens would lay mottled eggs like that [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    [​IMG] Congrats on your first egg!!

Cotournix quail do like company. The question is - how much company?

The first questions are: Do you want quail for pets, eating eggs, hatching eggs, eating or all of the above? This will determine whether you want all females or to add a roo. How much space do you have? Do you want birds to fit existing space or do you want a number for whom you will build more space?

Word of Caution: Quail are just as addictive as chickens!! [​IMG]

They do however require different food and seem to be (for me) a bit less demanding in environment.

Take a look at some of the threads here and you'll see some awesome colors!!! You'll also meet some very knowledgable and helpful pro's!

BTW: Is your DD a fan of Kai-Lan? My little says things make her "heart happy" too. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I love speckled eggs!

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Congrats on your egg! It's always exciting to get that egg [​IMG]

As for how many to add? It's up to you. 1 male per 4-5 hens or 2 per 7 is what I have in my smaller pens. Females, you can as many as you want really.

7. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    You said something about your hen pacing and acting stressed out. All of my females do this right before they get ready to lay their eggs. It is so weird but every afternoon they get all wacky and start popping out eggs LOL. I can only imagine how uncomfortable and stressful it would be. I wouldn't worry if these are her only symptoms. Goofy birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by