First Egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drmchang, Nov 19, 2011.

1. drmchang

drmchang Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Boxford, MA
    Went to open pap door this morning, and I see that one of the hens pushed the golf ball into the coop. When I went to put it back, there was a small but absolutely perfect brown egg!!!
    Whooppeee!

2. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!! WELL DONE!!! YIPEE FOR YOU!! CONGRATULATONS!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Congratulations! If you know who it was, you should give her an extra treat.

4. drmchang

drmchang Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Boxford, MA
    Thanks! We are very excited, these birds were all hatched on/about June 6th. So now, how can I figure out whose it was? All our hens will be laying brown eggs; there is one BR that has been "squatting" for us for about a week, but there are two RIR's and one SLW whose combs and wattles are much more developed? We will be overrun with eggs once they all start, we have 11 hens and all but one are supposed to be heavy layers.

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Well, I admit to watching the coop and nest boxes fairly carefully. We have a window in our coop that allows us to see the nest boxes, so I would watch and see which chicken was in the nest box and then immediately collect the egg. The squatting is a surer sign of sexual maturity than even the comb and wattle, so I bet it is your Barred Rock. I have five brown egg layers, but their eggs are really all different shades of brown, so expect some variety even with the brown eggs.

6. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Have to love the 1st egg! Very exciting!

7. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I had a first one today too and will bet it was your barred rock as it was mine. Mine has been really friendly and chattering at me, singing a chorus with the others of the egg song and watched my roo with her today [​IMG] She has a brooder sister that should start soon also, so Congrats!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Congrats!

9. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    first egg is the best one...................yeah:bun

10. lburress

lburress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011