First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChixFlix, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ChixFlix

ChixFlix Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    I have 9 RIR hens and one Polish rooster. I have to keep the roo separated from the hens because they will peck him to death - I call the main 4 problem girls the "heathers."

Anyway, I let the girls up into their home at about 7 pm, and let the rooster out to get some exercise before nightfall.

One of the hens is notorious for being the last one out in the morning and the last one in evenings. So I let her stay out with the rooster. She won't peck his head too badly.

Well, when I came back at 8pm to let her in for the night, there was an egg on the ground!

It was smallish, somewhat brown, but not soft or anything and I'm so thrilled, I had to share!!!

For anyone who might know: does this mean she will lay her eggs every evening, or will that time change in future?

This is SO exciting!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG] Congrats

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    [​IMG] CONGRADS!!! [​IMG]

4. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats [​IMG]:thumbsup

5. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Congrats and I am not sure..... but I am collecting only for the second day and both days it has been around the same time.......
    Maybe someone with more eggperince will aid you in this....

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats to you! Mine just started laying almost 2 weeks ago and it seems like it is always around the same time. For mine it is in the mid afternoon. I got my first EE egg 2 days ago! It was a beautiful green.

7. ChixFlix

ChixFlix Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    OMG!!

Today two hens were making VERY strange noises - like the old cartoons ("bok bok bok BAWK") and they both kept going back into the house even though we're letting it dry after a good washing - nothing in there - no bedding, etc.

I went back out a few times, and just now came back with TWO eggs - one a bit paler, just like yesterdays - and another one darker brown.

This is just too much!

8. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Wow that is great! congrats I can't wait for my first two egg day! .....LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by