First egg:)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jakoda, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    My chickes were 22 weeks old this past monday, today Lucy (australorp) gave me my first egg:)

I'm actually surprised, it's been so stressful the last coupe weeks, their "coop mansion" was pretty much demolished in the frankenstorm, they lived in my dining room for 4 days, and right now we're having a nice little snow storm!

I thought something was up, when I went in their coop this morning, and she was still inside, all the others were out, she was up on a perch, got down, roaming around looking to get in where the nest boxes "were", (we had to take them out because of renovation) So I picked her up and put her in a nest box that I had modified after the storm, she settled down and a couple hours later, I went to check on her and there was a good sized egg! She was off running around outside..

So maybe this is the start of the others to start laying;)
    Diane

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Congratulations! [​IMG] I have nine pullets that will be laying anytime now; it certainly is exciting!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. melodym

melodym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    I TOO GOT MY FIRST EGG TODAY. I'M SO HAPPY I WANTED TO JUMP AROUND. I HOPE OUR OTHER HENS TAKE A LOOK AND START LAYING AS WELL. CONGRATS :0)

5. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Congrats on the first eggs! They are always eggciting. I'm waiting for my 27 week old EE to lay her first egg. Last night I dreamt I went out to the coop and found 2 huge green eggs. LOL That's really wishful thinking. She has been squatting for almost a week and makes multiple trips in and out of the coop the last couple of days. She is practicing - you can see where she has been sitting in the nest box. [​IMG] She has even gone into the "older" girls coop and sits in one of their nesting boxes. I don't care where she lays it, I just want a colored egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by