First Egg!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by autumn123, Aug 27, 2013.

1. autumn123

autumn123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

Yay! I think I know which hen did it, because she used to have yellow legs and now her legs are white. She layed it from the roost onto the floor of the coop. None of the hens have even checked out the nest box area. Also, great news - I was having a problem integrating a new girl (RIR 16 wks) with the two established hens (white leg mixes about 20 wks). I was worried because she is much smaller than them. But after 3 weeks, she is growing fast and they are now together all day long. Only the occasional squawk and chase instead of the attacks.
    The egg is not big (about the same size as a medium grocery store egg) but it is smooth and shaped just right. This egg was layed sometime yesterday morning before 10 AM. But I have not found another yet today.
    I wish I could observe their behavior around egg laying more closely, but staying outdoors for extended times in the summer in Texas is tough. I've enjoyed reading the stories others post about egg songs and the funny stuff their flock does.

2. autumn123

Jul 14, 2013
    Just found TWO more eggs in the run under the coop and in the enclosure. Laid them in the MOST difficult places to reach - had to get my grabber tool to get them. One of the hens got upset about me being in their enclosure, flew up at me and put a good scratch on my shoulder!
    These 3 eggs will be eaten for lunch today. these are the first fresh eggs I have ever eaten!

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yay!! Congrats on your eggs :)

When one of my chickens started laying another chicken (not the one laying) would get ticked(!!) when I messed with the eggs or nesting boxes, talk about weirdos lol

1 person likes this.
  4. autumn123

Jul 14, 2013
    YUM! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by