First egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dancinbaer, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Dancinbaer

Dancinbaer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Our female laid her first egg, that we know of. But she's not sitting on it. First found it today so have no idea how long ago she laid it. Temperatures have been below freezing. The egg is in straw in their coop that they never went in. Should she be laying on it 24/7 or do her instincts guide her (me)?
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is she a Mallard? This would be an odd time of year for a duck to brood most start in spring up into fall and rest over winter. You could leave the egg and see if she continues to lay but this one most likely won't be any good if your temps have been that low. Also they usually lay a pretty good size clutch before they commit to brooding, some where between 5-12. at least she used the coop to lay her egg which is a good thing. You want to encourage her to lay and brood in a safe secure place.

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She won't set on the eggs until she builds a clutch and goes broody. This time of year the eggs will most likely freeze if you leave them in the nest. Understand also that not all ducks go broody. It varies from breed to breed. You may want to put several artificial 'nest eggs' in her nest while bringing her eggs into the house to keep them from freezing. Or you may just want to eat the eggs and wait until next spring to raise some ducklings.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Dancinbaer

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Thanks for the responses. We're not sure but they might be rouens. It's dark out now and she is in the coop sitting on the egg. Male sitting right beside her. I ran electricity to the coop today and put a 100watt bulb in it. The coop is 4'x4'x4' high. Just the two ducks. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

5. CambridgeDucks

CambridgeDucks New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    We have been getting eggs for about a week now. Not sure which ducks are laying them. We are just eating them for now.

6. Dancinbaer

Jul 16, 2013
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Well, found a second egg today when I went to clean the straw in the coop. I don't think it was there yesterday when I found the first one. Checked on the ducks tonight, both in the coop but female was not sitting on the eggs. I'll check again in the morning before leaving for work to see if there is a third egg. On another thread someone posted a picture of a mallard's egg. Sort of a greenish looking egg. These eggs are a light tannish/ beigiesh color.

If you touch a duck's egg, will they not lay on them? Just for future reference.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Old wives tale about touching the eggs. I saw you were putting a light in their coop, honestly unless you live at the north pole they don't need heat, they have nice lil down coats under their feathers.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I would agree and if it's cold i would not encourage a broody, it's a difficult thing in winter, i had a scovie this past Feb/mar do it, the clutch was successful and we got through it but required heavy intervention from myself, heat, extra feeds(still froze and snowing out) for diet supplementation etc.. I'd never let it happen again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by