First egg!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sfraker, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    [​IMG]One of my girls layed her first egg!! Of course she chose to lay it in the dirt rather than in the nice clean nest boxes they sleep in.
    :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Sometimes when first laying they aren't quite sure what's going on and lay anywhere. Hopefully she'll get the hang of it soon. Congrats!!

4. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    Me too!! I have 3 tetra tints and 2 Dixie rainbows. One of my Dixie Chicks laid her first egg this morning - also in the dirt - a few hours ago. Now, one of the tetra tints is acting very strangely - her tail feathers are sticking straight up in the air and she is trying to sit, dig a little hole and seems a little uncomfortable, but no egg yet. Should I be worried about her being egg bound? Should I put her in the coup so she goes to the nesting box?

Also, if one lays will it encourage the others to lay too?

I'll be on line for a few minutes - please answer if you get this ....

5. Miss Lydia

I'd put her in the nest box with the egg laid this morning to give her some idea what's going on. and yes usually once one starts to lay the others will follow. But if you notice straining to lay and no egg then post on the Emergency thread here on BYC. they are there to handle problems. Good luck.

6. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Second egg was laid in the nest box! A couple more and I'll have an omelet. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

[​IMG] Congrats!!

9. NacientNeedle

Apr 25, 2014
    Now your cooking!! I ran home for lunch and Lady Mary was definitely looking for a place to sit and singing the egg song - I'm sure I will go home to my second egg as well!! keep em coming girls!

10. NacientNeedle

Apr 25, 2014
    can I just use a regular egg as the "incentive" egg - I don't want to go the 20 miles to the feed store just now....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: