First eggs!!!! 14 weeks old ISA BROWNS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ctyfrmr, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ctyfrmr

ctyfrmr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    I got my first 2 eggs today. I have 27 Isa Browns I got as chicks and they are 14 weeks old yesterday. I was very surprised as i was thinking it would be Sept or Oct before they where old enough. Is this common with this breed?

2. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    At 14 weeks is real early from what I've heard. We have 25 started isa brown pullets that were supposed to be 18 weeks old when we got them so they are now about 23 weeks old. We just got our first pullet egg yesterday.
    These started pullets were raised we believe in a covered run with no real contact with people so they were extremely skittish and stoopit!
    Ran from everything. Didtn know what a treat or scraps were, didnt know how to eat grass or anything. Ran from flies.
    We had previously had 19 'used' girls (about 2 and a half or more years old) that we gave away. Had to go back and borrow 3 to help teach the new girls how to not be 'chicken'. Talk about hilarious; we were concerned that the young ones would gang up on the old girls. Not so. One of the old girls right away took over and took on any of the new ones who even looked at her. She is now the official queen and the others are watching her and taking lessons. The old girls even managed to lay 1 or 2 eggs almost daily since they have been back. I cant help but think the old girls showed by example to do that too. I cant believe the size difference in eggs. Since we had them the old girls have always had large and jumbo eggs. From what I've read after a year old the eggs are bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by