1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Eggs!!! A little early??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FuzzBall, Jul 17, 2011.

1. FuzzBall

FuzzBall New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    My RIRs are only 3 1/2 months old and we found two eggs in the hen house today. My girl went crazy...[​IMG] One was almost regular size and the other was half that. I'm thinking they are from two different hens but does this seem early? Not complaining [​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

A bit. [​IMG]

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Congrats on the first eggs!

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great, congrats. Here's what you do, have your RIRs give my RIRs a call & fill them in on their secrets. Mine are 19 wks and I'm waiting patiently... kinda! What type of environment are you in?

5. wrldlygrrl

wrldlygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Decatur, GA
    Turning greener (with envy) by the minute!!!

6. FuzzBall

FuzzBall New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Quote:I've got them in a 6x8 coop with a hen house and separate egg boxes built on the back. We have been letting them free range about 4 days per week too. Also been giving them lots of fruit and veggies along with helping them out with a good supply of crickets and grasshoppers. The coop is in the woods with lots of shade. I'm wondering if they have laid some in the woods that we don't know about??

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    In comparison, my 4.5 months RIR are slackers!!!! The BR and EE are no better. Their combs and wattles are only starting to grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by