First Eggs at 5 months! How long do they stay fresh outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milezone, Jul 8, 2011.

1. milezone

milezone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SW Kentucky
    Hi All,

Well today was the day, or was it yesterday, or day before. :-( I was not expecting my Buff's to lay eggs until 6 months, so today when I went in coop to do some cleaning I found 3 eggs (I have 10 hens). A bit small but they looked healthy enough.

My question is how long can eggs stay outside before they go bad? Thanks and I am so excited to finally see all our hard work starting to pay dividends.

Russ

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Wow! 5 months old and laying eggs already! That's great! It means I better keep an eye out for mine. They were hatched March 11th. They are Brahmas.

I attended a beginner chicken keeping class offered by a local chicken guru. He said that eggs are fine up to three days or so.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Kinda depends on the heat but probably a couple of days is safe. Place them in a bowl of water. If they float to the top; toss them because that is a sure sign they are bad. If they lay flat on the bottom they are good. If they stay on the bottom and float up to stand on the end they are older but safe....those I break into a bowl before breaking them into batter etc. just to be sure. In a lot of countries eggs are not refrigerated and I know many on here, my self included that keep them a couple of weeks or longer at room temp without problems.

Congratulations!!! I have never had buff hens before and was wondering when mine will lay. I got them the end of Feb.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Because of the protective coating over the egg that the chickens give it, it should be just fine. My husband says that in south america, where he served a church mission, they never refridgerated their eggs. They sat in a bowl or basket on the counter until used. But who knows...LOL...

5. milezone

milezone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SW Kentucky
    Thanks for the tip guys. BTW 3 more eggs this morning again. :) I am thinking we have 3 layers now, so 7 more to go for full production.

Russ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by