First eggs caught me off guard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matimeo, Jan 3, 2011.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I wasn't expecting any eggs yet. Chickens were born mid August. I suspect it is Ginger, our gold sex link that layed both of them. We came home from being out of town for the weekend and I was cleaning out their coop. To my great surprise, I found an egg. My daughter and I brought it in to show my wife, and when I went out, I found another. We've been having a cold stretch, so I hope them freezing won't ruin them. Maybe the moral to this story is, don't worry about when your chickens will lay their first egg and it will happen when you least expect it! I was surprised how small both of the eggs were. In the picture they're next to a large egg from the store.

Woohoo! Long wait for our own eggs is over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Pullet eggs. Some chefs covet pullet eggs.

3. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Anyone know how long they lay pullet eggs before they get to their normal size? I suspect the same chicken laid both eggs on consecutive days, so it seems like she might continue to lay regularly.

4. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Technically a pullet is a hen that is less than a year old. The eggs should become more normal within a couple months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by