First Eggs... do ducks start earlier than chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redbugs13, Aug 5, 2009.

1. redbugs13

redbugs13 In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    I have 6 hens... 2 BO, 2 Barred Rock, 2 Arracauna (sp?). I also have 3 ducks 1 Khaki Campbell, 2 Indian Runners (one male, one female)... The hens are about 19 weeks, the Indian runners are about 15 weeks, and the khaki campbell is probably 20-22 weeks.
    The lady at the feed store told me to expect eggs towards the end of August. We were camping this last weekend and when we got home on Monday I was out in the coop and there were 3 eggs! 2 up stairs in the hen house, and one downstairs in the duck house. I had nest boxes that needed a little more work, like a lip on the front and I wanted to put a divider between them. I finished the nest boxes that night filled them with hay and put a few golf balls in them. I had another one egg Tuesday morning out in the run, and I had another egg this morning down in the duck house, this one was bigger. They are whitish eggs. I am wondering if they are duck eggs, this is my first experience with ducks, but I know I should be getting brown and green eggs from my hens, unless BO hens lay white eggs?

The eggs are in random areas the first 3 were in corners, but the one from tuesday was just out in the coop, and the one from this morning was in the duck house right inside the door. Do ducks usually build their own nest from hay or should I put a box in there house with some hay in it for them?

2. redbugs13

redbugs13 In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    Alright, I've got an update. When I got home yesterday, and there was a small brown egg in one of the nest boxes! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] So I got my first chicken egg and Im so excited. I compared it to the other egg I was getting and the white egg is huge compared to it. So pretty sure its a duck egg. This morning it was out in the middle of the run laying in the mud around the waterer.

3. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    That's great! [​IMG] My ducks (pekins) started laying one day then two days later my chickens started laying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: