First eggs ever, one was a tad dirty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KayElle, Mar 13, 2013.

1. KayElle

KayElle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    I am thrilled. We just got our first eggs ever!!! Three eggs, after losing our first flock to raccoons in September we got more chicks that same month and they've made it to egg time!!! Long time coming!!

My question is: one of the eggs was layed outside the nest box and was dirty (as you can see). Are these eggs ok to eat?? I don't want to eat bacteria but I also hesitate to waste eggs. Feedback would be great. Also, we have golf balls in the boxes to encourage egg laying there. Any other suggestions to prevent laying outside box?[​IMG]

2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I would eat it. The egg has its own natural protection, just wash the egg when you are going to use it. :)

3. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I have one hen that lays on the coop floor sometimes. She usually does when her preferred nest box is occupied. Sometimes they will if the other hens keep bothering them in the nest they will go find a more "quiet / undisturbed" spot.

4. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    BTW nice egg!! Maybe a double yolker :)

5. KayElle

KayElle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks fpr the info, just to clarify: wash roght before we use the egg rather than when we collect it?

I know I was surprised it was that big since it was a first egg!! Poor hen!!

6. Summerlove

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes right before use. The egg has its own natural protection, when you wash it you remove the natural protection it has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by