1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

First EGGS for Happy Feathers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Feathers, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Happy Feathers

Happy Feathers In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    East Podunk, OK
    Looky what I found this morning, on the coup floor of course!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have 11 Austrolorp ladies and Rodney, their rooster man. I am a bit surprised though. My chicks are only 19 weeks + 2 days old today. They were all hatched on 3/19/14 and came from the Ideal Hatchery. Everything I've read here says they shouldn't be laying for another 4 to 7 weeks [​IMG] Go figure??? Haven't cracked them open yet to see what's inside.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on those first two eggs :ya :ya May they lay many more for you!

3. pfields

pfields Songster

Your chickens are the same age as mine. I've gotten 11 eggs since last Saturday.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised Black Australorps for years and have had a few of them lay as early as 18 weeks, but that's certainly the exception and not the rule. I love the breed though. They are my favorite standard breed, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Only my Sex Links have outlayed them, but the Australorps have generally had a longer laying life than my Sex Links.

5. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I have a Australorp from Ideal too![​IMG] She only 13 week at the moment, but I can't wait for her to start laying!
    Your lucky to start getting eggs that early! Of course I have 2 sex links and they'll probably start laying really early!

6. Happy Feathers

Happy Feathers In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    East Podunk, OK
    [​IMG] Now the really unbelievable part - the larger of the 2 eggs, bearing in mind the quarters for sizing - IT WAS A DOUBLE YOLK!!

All you chicken experts out there, what are the odds of that happening??? And, got another egg today, different size and shape than the other 2, so a third chicky girl has started too~~

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sounds like you are on your way to plenty of eggs. Congratulations. :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  8. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: