First Eggs from 2 of my 5 girls today!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Californichicken, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Californichicken

Californichicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Is that just a crazy coincidence or is there some science behind this?
    I've been checking them at least twice daily, no eggs. They do free range but hadn't for 6 days because we were out of town so I just asked my father in law to keep them in the run. I let them out for a bit yesterday but was home and didn't hear the egg song. Today, I heard someone singing and my EE wasn't in the run, she was up in the coop. I decided to go check on her and make sure she was alright ( I had no expectation of an egg). As I walked up to their area, she came down the chicken ladder into the run and I checked the coop and found TWO eggs! One, beautiful bluish one, clearly hers and one tiny brown egg (my silkie?). Her egg was still warm and the little brown one was cool.
    Here's a photo: The top egg is a store bought large egg.
    [​IMG]

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!! Both are very nicely colored!!!!

3. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Congrats. The first egg(s) are so exciting!

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Congratulations!!! Beautiful Eggs!

5. Californichicken

Californichicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Does anyone have an opinion on if they are maturing together because they are such a small flock? Is it just a coincidence? My guess is that my EE is almost a week older than the silkie (if that's who laid the little egg). They were purchased a few days apart and the EE was bigger and starting to feather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by