First eggs from a BYCer!Update:Day 21 We got a chicky!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Attack Chicken, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Today I went and picked up 11 beautifull brown eggs from Addiedun's house. She has some very pretty hens and a very good lookin GLW rooster [​IMG]. The hens she has are 2 RIR, 1 BO, 1BR, and one pretty Red sex link I believe. I put her 11 eggs in with my 12 bantam eggs i got yesterday from the same guy I hatched before, but these eggs were picked up and not shipped so I'm hoping for a better hatch. Today was the first time I met another BYCer and today is the first time I'm going to incubate another BYCers eggs! [​IMG] I will be candling on day 7 to see which are growing. When ay 18 comes and I take the turner out should i put a barrier in the middle so the standards don't crush the bantams? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Congratulations!! And....BYC buddies are the best!

The Bantams will be fine with the Standards during a hatch [​IMG]

3. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    [​IMG] WOO HOO!!! Those be my babies!! (the standards)
    Thanks to BYC for being such a great site and hosting so many wonderful people.
    Thanks to Miss Jayne, too, because whether she knows it or not, reading her posts/threads has made me want to hatch my own beautiful designer chickens!!
    And of course, Thanks to Attack Chicken! You rock for being my broody hen. lol

Can't wait for the candling.... [​IMG]

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Whoo! Kernal's going to be a daddy! [​IMG] Sending good hatching vibes your way! [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Everytime I hatch it gets more exciting [​IMG]

6. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    So I have less than three weeks to read the section on "raising baby chicks".
    I must be crazy.
    [​IMG]

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well today was day 6 but I couldn't wait another day to candle. I brought home the candler today and just got back from candling all 23 eggs 12 are mine and 11 are Addiedunn's. The result of the eggs that are mine are:

BLRW: 1 has veins the other 2 bloodrings : 1/3
    BLW: 6 have veins that I'm sure of, one was turned upside down(not my fault),1 isn't showing signs of veins clear, and 1 has a bloodring. so 6-7/9

Addiedun I have kinda bad news and good news. The good news is that you roo is doing a wonderfull job! And the bad news is.....
    You have 10 out of 11 that have veins! [​IMG] [​IMG]

The two of Grannys your favorite have veins [​IMG] I'm not sure about the other one. It didn't have any veins that I could see but there could be some there! [​IMG]

Don't blame me that I took all of your eggs that you had in the basket [​IMG] Their was only two left [​IMG]

8. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see, I don't know what to think!

9. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hopefully that other one developes! So you can hopefully have 11 little ones running around [​IMG]

10. addiedunn

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    This is how it went when Attack Chicken came to the house. It just so happened she was firing up the bator anyway and said she'd be happy to come by and pick up my eggs, if I wanted. I had asked her about hatching my designer eggs (thanks to miss Jayne, talking up the mutts. lol). There were 11 eggs in my basket. But my intention was to only give her a few...
    Me: take these from today, for sure. And this other one from Granny and a RIR. That's plenty.
    Attack chicken: Are you sure? You know I only got 4/7 last time....(smiles--kinda like a snake in a tree).
    Me: OK--take these, too. That's 9. If I get 5 chicks that'll be good. Husband won't totally kill me.
    Attack Chicken: Awe (looking down into the almost empty basket) you only have two left, there. Might as well add 'em. They look so lonely.

I didn't know what hit me...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by