First eggs.....getting ready for the avalanche!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bdjh, Aug 20, 2013.

1. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    We got 6 girls at 8 weeks old back in June (2 leghorns, 2 Columbians, and 2 Barred Rocks). They were hatched April 14. We've been eagerly awaiting eggs since then.

Two weeks ago, we took back what turned out to be a Columbian Rooster, who our supplier was happy to get back, and in exchange he gave us a already-laying Barred Rock cross, and a beautiful little Danish (or Dutch) Leghorn, who's maybe two or three weeks younger than the rest.

Anyway, we started getting eggs from the cross right away, which was super cool.......but on Saturday, we got our first 'real' egg from the original batch!

It has to be from one of the Barred Rocks (a brown egg), but it was so small! maybe a quarter of the volume of the cross's eggs! I'm not complaining - they're really cute.

And, yesterday, we got our first white egg from one of the leghorns - maybe even smaller than the barred rocks!

It could have been from the Columbian I suppose - does anyone know what color eggs a Columbian Rock lays?

Anyway - I'm anticipating an avalanche of tiny little eggs in the next week or two. Very Excited! No More Freeloaders!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the eggs! CR lays a light brown, or "beige" colour egg.

3. bdjh

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Thanks, Sumi

4. dcbcaaron

dcbcaaron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Dry Creek, LA
    I also have 3 new hens about the same age, "French Black Copper Marans" each time I go to the coop I anxiously look into the nest box, but nothing yet :( I can't wait! super excited to have them start laying!

5. bdjh

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Yeah - that first time you find and egg, after looking 20 or 30 times without success, is really weird. It's like......."Hey, somebody put an egg in here!"

6. mayberrymom

mayberrymom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Idaho
    We have 8 hens that were hatched on March 21st and we got our first egg last Friday! (21 weeks) , we found 2 more that day, and they have only laid a total of 2 since then. I don't know when the consistency will start. We have 3 Buffs, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Sussex and 1 Auracana. Our other Sussex turned out to be a rooster and due to the fact we live in the city, my husband and son had to help him meet his demise [​IMG]. I wanted 2 Auracanas, but the girl at the Farm store couldn't tell the difference in the day old chicks. The other hens really seem to pick on her, especially the large Silver Laced gals. Anyway, I am looking forward to more eggs soon. [​IMG]

7. ferguson63901

ferguson63901 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    So happy for you!! We have 2 RIR that are laying daily. We also have 5 hens that are 17-18 weeks old, and I feel like I'm waiting for childbirth to occur, in anticipation of that first egg from our babies. I study each of them daily, and with exception if the BR, none have much of a comb yet. Do they seem to "pop" overnight? They're getting quite red, but not much of a comb yet. This mama of 6 is ready for more eggs!! Once you get the yummy goodness of the eggs your hens supply, store eggs are nasty! Lol

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. carolbeau

carolbeau Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Wake County, NC
    Congrats, you guys!! Mine are turning 16 weeks on Sunday and I'm so ready for them to start! I think the 2 on the left in the below photo will be the first. The one on the right barely has any comb/waddle and our 4th is a silkie bantam, so I have no idea what's up with that one.

Bdjh, how old were your girls that just started?

[​IMG]

9. carolbeau

carolbeau Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Wake County, NC
    Congrats! I don't think I can hold out that long. I'm afraid if mine take that long that I might not get any eggs before it gets cold. :-/

10. bdjh

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by