First eggs!! Guess who?

SCMommaHen

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
Found an egg on the floor of the run this morning!! Checked the boxes, nothing. Then I crawled into the coop and found a well hidden nest with 3 more!! 4 cute little cream colored/light brown eggs. 😍😍😍😍

Now I'm wondering who did it. All 7 hens are 21 weeks today. I have an Orloff, svarthona, orpington, wyandotte, crevocouer, and 2 olive eggers. What's your guess?
IMG_20210926_080821.jpg

Found an egg on the floor of the run this morning!! Checked the boxes, nothing. Then I crawled into the coop and found a well hidden nest with 3 more!! 4 cute little cream colored/light brown eggs. 😍😍😍😍

Now I'm wondering who did it. All 7 hens are 21 weeks today. I have an Orloff, svarthona, orpington, wyandotte, crevocouer, and 2 olive eggers. What's your guess?
View attachment 2846903
I believe it's the Orpington, based on egg color. Orpingtons lay cream. It's odd for an Orp to lay so early.

You can always check who's laying, by checking their pelvic bone spacing, which is located below the vent.

If you can't fit a finger, or even one, they're not ready.

If you can fit two fingers between the bones, then she's laying, or getting ready.

I would guess Orloff as they can lay earlier but I am not an egg expert. My other guess would be Wyandotte but 21 weeks might be a tad early for her.
I suspect the Orloff too. Lots of conflicting info on when they lay. Might reach out to the orloff FB group. None of the girls squat yet and my roo can only catch the little svarthona. He's so big and she's so little I'm worried he'll hurt her!

Update...It turned out to be my little svarthona!! I found a second clutch of eggs and watched them like a hawk this morning. I estimate she started laying at 19 weeks. Then today my olive egger, that looks all ameraucana, laid her first olive egg! Here are today's eggs. So cute!
IMG_20210929_172256.jpg

Back
Top Bottom