First eggs, have meat spots

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babyblue, Nov 1, 2009.

1. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    just one of our bo hens has started laying, one egg two days ago and one egg today. both eggs had one or two visiable meat spots. will she always lay eggs with these spots or is there a chance they will go away as she matures into her egg laying?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    It will probably stop soon.

3. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    thats good, I know they are not harmfull or anything, but dh is kinda grossed out by them and selling eggs with them is pretty much out of the question.

4. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    My one BO just started this weekend, whohoo, and todays egg had a tiny spot as well. I cracked it into a small dish first, then took the shell and skimmed the edge and the spot came right up. Slid into pan and fried, no problem, and yummy.
    If I were to begin selling them, I think I would learn how to candle them first. Since I make the eggs for my family, what they don't see won't hurt them, right.

5. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    yup, I started getting meat spots for about a week from my girls when they were done molting and back to laying. I just took the meat bits out for the dog, and don't say anything to the humans, lol.

6. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    My BR's first two eggs had meat spots too. She's been laying for a month now and I haven't gotten one with a meat spot since.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Hmm...can someone describe to me a meat spot?? I've never heard the term before! [​IMG]

8. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by