First eggs in the incubator update.. question about temp

astylishgirl

Animal Lover Supreme
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I just put my first eggs in the incubator. Unfortunately, they are in my Little Giant. My new incubator has not arrived yet. Darn.

Here we go! Anyone else who is putting eggs in... join me and lets hold hands to get through this!

6:50 pm Saturday, May 2, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
barnie.gif
Good luck! Hated my LG! Went to Hova 1588 and had better hatches! Hope it works for you!
fl.gif

The 1588 is what I have coming! Should I just switch these eggs over when it gets here do you think?

I had really hoped that it would get here before the eggs did. I had already bought the LG, but hadn't opened it yet. Then I got on here and heard how bad it was and how much better the 1588 is. So I was going to take the LG back. BUT... the eggs beat the new incubator here... so I had no choice but to open it and put it in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd let the 1588 run for 6 hours or so to check temp and humidity and then I would definitely switch the eggs! Keep me posted!
fl.gif

Let me tell you how absolutely "blond" I am. Remember the Lucy and Ethel show with the chickens? That be me.

Well, I thought the eggs had to be at 90 so that is what I told DH. WELL... I read that it was actually supposed to be 99... so I was trying to turn the heat UP... but it kept going down and I was freaking OUT! On the LG to the left of the dial it says "increase heat" and to the right of the dial it says "decrease heat". I didn't see the little arrow pointing toward the other way! So I was turning the heat DOWN... It took me 30 minutes to figure this out. When I told my DH... he looked at me with this little pitying look of disbelief and just shook his head.

he.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

What is the safe range of temperatures. My LB has it at 99 on one side of the bater and 100 to 101 on the OTHER side. There are two thermometers in there.

Does anyone have the definitive answer on temps?

If you can tweek it to 99.5-plus on one side and keep it near 102 minus on the other side, that should produce good results in a "still-air" bator. Those temps would be taken at approx. top of egg level! Good-Luck

I have a still air LG and I just loaded it on May 1. So, we're right there together.

I've had this thing for several years and I have hatched several batches of barnyard mix eggs in it - always with a good hatch rate. But I just let it run at the 99.5 and kept water in the tray. No worries that I can remember.

Now though, I have purebred eggs in it and I've read all these comments online about how bad these still air bators are and how careful you must be with the temp and humidity so I'm terrified for the first time ever about my hatch rate!

I think it's great you have a nicer bator on the way, though!

Good Luck to you
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom