First eggs in winter...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmdix22, Nov 16, 2015.

1. jmdix22

jmdix22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Virginia
    Hello, I have 7 australorp and buff orp pullets, they are about 20 weeks and I know it would be on the earlier side of laying to start but I am concerned about the cold weather, we are already in the low 30's some mornings here with afternoon temps all the way up into the 70's. and of course the days are cut very short. I don't have a light in the coop. would this help them get started? what else could I do? they are starting to get much bigger and brighter combs so I assume they are getting close. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I never use lights and my first year hens always get laying in a normal fashion. Those two breeds usually start laying at 5-6 months.

The temperature won't affect them either, those are still comfortable temperatures for a chicken.

3. jmdix22

jmdix22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Virginia
    Great news...do you think that the teens and single digits would affect them starting? because by December we will probably be looking at those. I just want to make sure I can do everything I can to help them start laying:) thanks!!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cold temperature will have nothing to do with them laying, it is daylight that affects laying. They will still begin laying in winter, but their production won't be at it's maximum until the days are longer.

You can add lighting, it's best to do it slowly and work up to 15 hours of lighting. Keep the lighting in the morning so it doesn't disrupt their roosting habits. I don't light my coop, but some people do.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What they said^^^ was just starting to type it up but HC summed it nicely!
    Love the 'new post' notification.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] @aart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by