First Eggs - Leghorn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jarhead, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    She was exactly 19 weeks old the day she first laid. Her first egg was laid 1 week ago, and was without shell. Man is a shell less egg strange, it feels very odd just the membrane holding the wet stuff in. She has been laying 1 egg a day since all with a nice thick shell. The eggs are on the small size, but I expect as she continues to lay they will get larger over time. Out of our original 9 girls she is the first to lay. The rest are a few different breeds, but I expect them to start laying anytime now. The eggs are great tasting, we both think they have more flavor than store bought. Maybe it's just us tasting all the time and $$$ we have put into this, but they do seem better. Anyway we are excited so I thought I would share.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    nice! congrats! it's worth the wait!

3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Congratulations! She started young. The leghorns are great layers! The eggs will get bigger for you too.

My leghorn eggs are my favorite. For being such a slim bird she lays the biggest eggs. I got two jumbo double yolkers in a row her first week of laying! I am hoping to have a few more baby leghorn chicks in the future.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Congrats !! [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] Gratz!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by