First Eggs! (No Pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AccentOnHakes, Jul 30, 2011.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Sadly, no pictures for you guys.

Even worse, I'm not at home. And won't be for another 3 weeks.

My mom has been taking care of my 2 EE's while I'm at my dad's for the summer. She called today to tell me she found 2 eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] They were under the BBQ grill(no longer used) that they like to hang out under. I told her to put them in the nesting box, she told me, "I'm scared the one that laid the egg will bite me! I haven't touched them yet." [​IMG] [​IMG] She had chickens growing up! Sheesh! Did /those/ ever peck you when you took the eggs? Obviously not, because you ate the eggs!

Then, she told me the eggs were really small, and she didn't know why. I told her they would get bigger, she didn't believe me. Again, you had chickens growing up! She was also surprised that the eggs were clean, she says that growing up, their chickens' first eggs were always bloody. [​IMG]

So the eggs are a light green, she says, a bit like duck eggs. I just want stinkin' pictures from her! Of course, we don't know where the camera went. [​IMG]

Waiting for the other one to lay now, and hoping that it's a nice blue one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Yay!!! [​IMG]

Congrats!

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Congratulations - and if your mom sends pictures, please post them! It's so exciting getting those first eggs!

4. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    My mom said that she would take pics with her iPod Nano and send them over! [​IMG] I'll be sure to post them when I get them.

I'm also a little shocked that she started laying already...counting the weeks, she's only 19 weeks today! Well, we got them 19 weeks ago as chicks from the feed store, so based that we didn't get them as day-olds and she has laid 2 already, let's say 19 weeks. I'm thinking that maybe the early age explains why we got two tiny pullet eggs rather than huge ones. I wonder then the other one will start laying?

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

7. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Mom took a video with the Nano, the EE laid another egg today! The video quality isn't great, so I'll see if she can take PICTURES for me to show to you guys. Plus the coop is all yucky now, I told her to clean it. [​IMG]

Of the three eggs, one is bigger than the rest. They are a beautiful mint color! I thought they would be a pale pale green, but I'm very happy with the color. Hope I get some pictures to share with you guys soon!

ETA: The third egg was laid in the nesting box in the coop! My mom didn't believe me when I said that she would lay in there if she saw eggs there, but she did! [​IMG] Smart chickie, good girl.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by