1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Eggs! ohhh, well darn.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Citychick42, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Citychick42

Citychick42 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    2 of my 5 blrw have just started laying and we got 3 healthy eggs out of them. [​IMG] Then I went on a overnight trip with my class. When i got home there were 2 soft shelled eggs waiting in their coop. These weren't just soft, they were clear and felt like water balloons.[​IMG] I threw these out. All of my chickens have been on layer food for about a week or two. I havent gotten any other eggs out of them yet. I dont know really what to do now. Im going to get oyster shells tonight. Is there anything else i should do?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, the crushed oyster shell will help - be sure to leave it out free choice, don't mix it with the feed.

However, sometimes there are just Ooops eggs with new layers. Their egg-construction parts aren't all up to operating speed and efficiency yet. The shell is the last thing to be constructed, and it takes the majority of the time: 20 to 21 hours of the 26 hours it takes to make an egg.

Think of an assembly line - if one operation is a bit out of whack or off schedule, the final product isn't quite what it should be. And this happens with brand new "assembly lines."

3. Citychick42

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks! Just asking, why shouldn't i mix it in with the food? I got my chickens when they were pullets and they were never given treats so they're a little scared of anything different. They wont even eat lettuce or grapes!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you mix it in with the food, they may decide not to eat period.

5. Citychick42

Jul 9, 2010
    that wouldnt be good, thanks for telling me! [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I had one that was laying cracked eggs, "water balloon" eggs, and thin shelled eggs without color (she's a green egg layer). I thought she had it all sorted out as she was laying great eggs more recently, but this morning, there was a cracked open, thin shelled, colorless egg on the poop board. Some of them, it just take a while I guess.
    I do offer oyster shell free choice, but I also rinse and save their egg shells, bake and crush them and mix them with the oyster shell. They seem to pick these pieces out first.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by