First eggs, one huge

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliechick, Aug 24, 2008.

1. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    [​IMG]

Just heard a hen caducking and went to check. My BO pullet was on the nest with a huge (for the first one) egg. [​IMG] Her egg is on the left with my speckled sussex hen's first eggs on the right The SS has been laying for 3 weeks. When will her eggs get bigger? Oh, the BO is 22 weeks old. The SS started laying at 20 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Wow! That's a beautiful egg! I hope my BO lays eggs that big. She should be laying any time now...she's almost 21 weeks old.

3. mrsweb

mrsweb New Egg

Aug 20, 2008
    I have had 2 huge eggs this year like that. I'm not sure if my Buff or barred rock laid it. They both had double yolk. I was so excited but felt bad for the old girl. LOL

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    wow very nice give her a pep talk and tell her to keep up the good work hahaha [​IMG]

5. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    That's a lovely size! Hope you gave her a nice treat LOL

6. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The egg was a double yolker. Maybe she'll lay a little smaller one next time. I bet she hopes so!

I was saving the egg so I could blow it out, but my husband ate it for breakfast this morning. Oh, well. [​IMG]

Now we're just waiting for EE's to lay......

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I was going to say, that I bet it's a double yolker. One of mine layed me one last week--how egg-citing! My bo's seem to be the first to start laying (even before the bsl's). Someone is laying a very dark brown egg. Not as dark as a marans's, but I have bo's, bsl's, 1 slw, and 1 delaware. So for them, it's a pretty dark egg! I have at least 4 laying, and 16 pullets. There are a few that I'm sure aren't laying yet, as they still have small, pink combs.

8. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    She layed another one just awhile ago. It's regular sized this time. She is a pretty big hen, and of course, very soft and fluffy. She's one of my favorites.

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the eggs. That one is a beauty. Bet it is a double yolker. I had 2 like that, they were doubles.

10. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    that is eggciting! i was so happy to get my first large egg (and double yolker) last week!
    Yay girls!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by