First eggs/possible two eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rita77, Oct 31, 2016.

1. rita77

rita77 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Hi BYC friends, Happy Halloween![​IMG]
    I have a question about my Peanut. She's my mystery hen but most people that weighed in on her breed here think she's a Buff Orpington. I agree. She was born with a couple of deformities. One is a short tailbone. He rear is shorter which makes her cloaca sit higher up. I have to clean her up often. Anyway, she just started laying. I found an egg today in my front box (not a coop, like a doghouse with one side open, for cover from weather when it's raining and they're out front). Then later my Polish Hen was making a ruckus so I went to the coop to see what was going on. Peanut was in a nest box trying to lay an egg. Stormy, my Polish, was perched in front of her making as much noise as possible, I'm guessing to sound the alarm that Peanut was having issues. She was having problems getting it out. I left her for awhile but checked on her often but after she'd been trying for a couple of hours I brought her in and gave her a warm soak (her rear end needed cleaned anyway). Her rear was very red and I could feel the egg below her cloaca. I put her in a basket, dried her a bit and applied some lubricant and covered her. She wasn't making much noise anymore but she was changing positions about every 30-60 seconds. I looked at her rear, felt to see if the egg had moved and it didn't. So I gloved up, lubricated and, well, in I went. I felt the egg right inside but still felt the "other" egg below from the outside. She seemed to get relief from my probing (?) so I tried again but went slower backing out and she laid the egg. Here's my question... I can still feel that egg below her cloaca. I'm sure it's an egg because I can clearly feel the shape and size. Since she laid the egg that I helped with, the other "egg" isn't protruding anymore, but I can still feel it. So what the heck??!? Should I work on getting that egg up and out? Or is it just next in line to be laid tomorrow? Also, since I'm assuming that her deformed tailbone area is what made the egg hatch difficult, is there anyway to stop her egg production? Her eggs are a nice size and beautiful, I would love getting one every day or every other day, but not at the risk of her health. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice and help. It's greatly appreciated!

On another note, my broody Cochin Bantam hatched 2 chicks this weekend![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    They are Belgian D'Uccles, mom is a Mille Fleur & dad is a Porcelain and I think that they're both pullets! I'll figure out where the appropriate thread is and I'll post pics soon.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your new chicks! [​IMG]

Did Peanut lay the second egg herself or did you assist her again?

3. rita77

rita77 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    No egg from her yet [​IMG] She's fine, eating drinking and foraging. I just don't know what to do.

Thank you! The chicks are happy and healthy![​IMG]

4. rita77

rita77 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I did go egg hunting today after I gave Peanut a thorough check. I didn't feel the egg anymore so I figured that she must have laid it away from the coop. I was right. I found the egg in one of their favorite scratching spots. She confuses me. She sits in the nest and even rearranges it to her liking but doesn't lay in the coop like the rest. I think with her deformity, I just have to check her daily.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It's good that she was able to pass the egg by herself, but I think you're right that she'll need to be checked on periodically.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by