First eggs Questions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreeneAcresFarm, Jul 14, 2011.

1. GreeneAcresFarm

GreeneAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    We found our first eggs today. We found 7 of them! I have been slacking getting the nest boxes installed. I went to put them up today and found these.[​IMG]

I found them in the straw outside of the coop on a wood pile. Not sure when the were laid. I marked them with a big X and put them in the nest boxes with some fresh straw.
    Is that ok to do? If so how long should I leave them? We figure we will collect any new ones. I hate not to eat our first eggs but since we do not know if they were laid today or over the last few days and It has been in the mid 90's here until today we did not want to chance it.

The hens are 19 weeks. The eggs are very small.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't leave them there. Get some wooden ones or put golf balls in their place. They could get broken, which will encourage the hens to eat them OR they could explode in all their rotten glory. [​IMG]

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agree. [​IMG]

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chances are they are still good... if in doubt, crack them into a bowl before putting in the skillet. What have you got to lose? Fresh eggs stay fresh a long time!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    We got the eggs this morning. No new ones:(. I cracked one open to inspect. I noticed the "spot" that it appears to be fertile? Pic below. I rinsed them off and put them in a bowl of water and they all stayed on the bottom. So they should be good to eat.
    [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, that's a fertile egg. Nice yolk color too!

7. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks! I ended up with 3 Roo's so they are keeping the 8 hens busy! I have 18 more pullets that are 8 weeks old so that will help soon when they are let out of the grow out pen. My 6 year old said last night that the Roo was being mean to the hen!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by