First eggs set on April 25th

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chknfrmr, May 5, 2011.

1. chknfrmr

chknfrmr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    I started my first hatch on April 25th, so hopefully will have some chicks around May 16th. I set 37 eggs and as of tonight it looks like I have 36 viable eggs. I removed one egg two days ago that was obviously bad. The eggs are from my 10 RIRs, 2 Australorps and 1 Ameraucana. The rooster is a beautiful RIR. I started my flock last spring, culled all the roosters except one and then added additional chicks in July. After culling the roosters again, I have 12 hens and the roo.

If I am successful with this hatch, I will be looking for some Barred Rocks and some BLRWs eggs. The current hatch is in a Hova-bator with an automatic turner I picked up at the local feed store. I have just completed making an incubator from a wine cooler I picked up off free-cycle after seeing examples on this forum. I purchased a repti-thermostat from Amazon which came today, so I have it going through a test cycle now. Hopefully, it will be ready to go in a couple of days. I will post pictures of the "wine-bator" soon. I am very pleased with the end product and it cost next to nothing to make using items I had lying about the shop.

Anyway, I'm stoked about my first incubation.

Lamar

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] The first hatch is always nail biting. Do not open the bator if there are pips. Sit on your hands.

3. chknfrmr

Sep 24, 2010
    I am planning to remove the turner on May 13 and lock down the bator until the chicks hatch. It'll be hard to leave it closed, but after waiting three weeks hopefully I will have enough patience to watch and not touch.

Lamar

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Those first 18 days are nothing compared to the last 3... I swear! [​IMG]

5. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Your telling me. I'm starting day 21. I am worried. They were viable on day 18. I got nothing!

6. chknfrmr

Sep 24, 2010
    I'm trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row, as I'm getting ready for the lockdown. My hova-bator says to remove the turner, add water to increase humidity and lay the eggs on the screen. So, I'm wondering if I could use a plastic egg holder I have to hold the eggs small end down. This would hold the eggs vertical allowing the chick to zip around the top. Is this good or bad? Any reason they should be on their sides (horizontal)? I'm really new at this and want to make the right decisions for a successful hatch.

Lamar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by