first eggs this week, but they’re on the floor

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
we got our first eggs this week. my wife found one yesterday and i found one today.

i’m not sure which hen is laying them, but she seems to have made herself a makeshift nest in the corner of the coop floor. that’s where we found both eggs.

here are my nesting boxes. they’re full of hay and i bought ceramic eggs for them.
8D14420E-AE0A-4537-B827-FA7529D96E6D.jpeg

what else can i do to promote laying in the boxes instead of on the floor?

we got our first eggs this week. my wife found one yesterday and i found one today.

i’m not sure which hen is laying them, but she seems to have made herself a makeshift nest in the corner of the coop floor. that’s where we found both eggs.

here are my nesting boxes. they’re full of hay and i bought ceramic eggs for them. View attachment 2936911
Give her some time. They can be a bit naive in the beginning. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

Give her some time. They can be a bit naive in the beginning. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

here are my nesting boxes. they’re full of hay and i bought ceramic eggs for them. View attachment 2936911
True that the coop looks amazing

they’ve definitely been in the boxes. the hay has been kicked around and i’ve had to replace it a few times over the last few weeks.
This is a good sign, because my first question was going to be: do they know the boxes are there? Silly enough, sometimes there's birds who don't notice the nest boxes until they've already begun laying.

I'd give them a bit of time and see if they can figure it out. If not, work on IDing the bird which is laying in the corner, as I have some tips if you can make a positive ID.

Back
Top Bottom