First eggs, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScottsChickenz!, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ScottsChickenz!

ScottsChickenz! Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    West Burlington
    I have been finding little presents around the yard. This is my first time with chickens. I bought these in March as chicks. I'm not sure if it's the white sultans or the pheonix hens. The eggs are smaller than store eggs and a light brown almost white. should I wipe them off, refrigerate? I've never eaten a fresh egg.

2. molly d

molly d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Fresh eggs are the best!! You'll never want to eat store-bought eggs again once you've had them fresh. I give my eggs a quick rinse before putting them in the refrigerator, but that's about it. I don't think there's much else you need to do with them, except enjoy them of course. [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

ScottsChickenz! :

I have been finding little presents around the yard. This is my first time with chickens. I bought these in March as chicks. I'm not sure if it's the white sultans or the pheonix hens. The eggs are smaller than store eggs and a light brown almost white. should I wipe them off, refrigerate? I've never eaten a fresh egg.

It is your choice to wash them or not. If you do wash them use hot water and refrigerate. If you do not wash it is OK to not refrigerate. They will last longer if refrigerated. It is really a personal choice.

Use them any way you like. Just like store bought eggs.

Imp- Enjoy​

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    If the egoist look clean you don't need to wash them right away. I've read you wash the bloom off which is something that protect the eggs. I put mine in an egg carton in the fridge

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I'd say just rinse them. I read to not get into the habbit of washing them unless strongly needed. This will make themnot last as ling and inject chemicals into the yolk. But hey, nobody's gonna die here haha

6. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I'll give mine an easy rinse before I carton them. I don't want to sell eggs that are smudged or caked with poop. We may know about these things but chances are our customers won't, and won't like getting eggs that aren't clean looking. My light rinse is nothing compared to what store bought eggs are put through before they hit the shelves. The way I'm checking my coop for eggs now, before there are any, the chances of pop having time to dry on them when they do finally start coming in is practically nil.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I keep mine in a basket on the counter, so I don't wash them unless they are particularly nasty, and in that case, they go in the fridge. When the basket gets too full, I fill cartons and put them in the fridge, or if it's over 85 degrees in the house I refrigerate to prevent spoilage or the chance of one starting to develop on the kitchen counter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by