First eggs/who laid these?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RobotChicken, Nov 28, 2008.

1. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    So I got home this evening after being gone for a week to find an empty coop, no food, no water, and my chickens huddled down in my basement window well.

So I got em up and out and back into the coop, refill food and water(stupid roomates - its not like there is any effort in refilling their food and water a couple of times while I am gone), and then to my surprise down in my window well are three eggs:

Dunno who laid em, the two chickens I thought would lay first(the brown leghorns) lay white eggs, not brown, so I dunno who did this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, so the candidates are a Black Jersey Giant:
    [​IMG]

Or Barred Rock #1:
    [​IMG]

Or Barred Rock #2:
    [​IMG]

They are all about 20 weeks old now.....thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Don't know what the jersey giant eggs are like but I am pretty familiar with BR eggs and these seem to have that consistency. From what i see the shells are smooth. This is one of the things I always found neat about the BR and Black sex links eggs which are bred RIR roo to a BR hen.

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I'd lay money that the BRs laid first. They mature more quickly than Giants.

4. RobotChicken

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Quote:Thats what I think as well, it seems Jersey Giants take much longer to mature.

Kinda surprised me though, the leghorns looked way more mature earlier, fuller combs, squatting, etc.

After being gone for a week none of the chickens have been "roostered" up, so they were all ready to squat down for me.

5. RobotChicken

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Ok, so I found out who laid it, and I am also guessing I dont have a jersey giant.......

So I got another one this morning, I let them out of the coop and the black one ran right over to the window well and hopped in. She turned around a couple of times before nesting down in. Short while later I hear a little bit of noise and see her out walking around, sure enough, there is a nice brown egg down in the window well.

So I cooked up the 4 eggs I have from her for breakfast, nice hard shells, nothing like the skimpy store bought egg shells. Nice rich yolks, and they tasted absolutely delicious!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So if I dont have a jersey giant what could she be? She doesn't look like what I thought black sex links looked like, she doesn't have the pinkish tint to the bottom of her feet like I understand australorps do.......

Hmm, maybe its time for a new post in the breed/gender section.....

6. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    She could be a Black Australorp and they lay about the same time as the Barred Rocks.Most BA lay a lighter brown egg though.

7. RobotChicken

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Quote:While I wouldn't mind a BA she doesn't have any pinkish tint to the bottom of her feet, just the yellow..........

Time for a new post methinks.

8. BigByrd24

BigByrd24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    Quote:What color are the bottom of her feet and her eye color?

Tim

9. RobotChicken

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
  10. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    I'm so happy for you. I just found three eggs in my coop, don't know how long they have been there. But it was my black star.
    she tryied to tell me but it was not in the nest. How do I get them to lay in the nest boxes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by