First eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tawnya0926, Sep 1, 2016.

1. tawnya0926

tawnya0926 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2016
    Essex CT
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone. I'm a new chicken owner of 18 week pullets. I just went into my coop to find 2 eggs in the bottom of the coop under the roosting board, not in the nesting boxes. (First time any of them laid an egg). One looks like it has been pecked and one is soft shelled. I wonder why thy chose to lay on the coop floor instead of one of the boxes. Also hoping the soft shell one is just because it's their first time. Any thoughts?

2. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    Welcome and congrats on getting chickens and eggs! The soft shell and laying under the roosts could be because its their first time laying. To get them to use the nesting boxes put golfballs in them. The golf ball trick the hens into thinking the boxes are a good and safe place to lay since "another hen" layed and "egg" in it. If the shells continue to be soft they may not be getting enough calcium to produce hard shells. Yoi should either be feeding them layer pellets or offering oyster shell free choice to ensure they are getting enough calcium.

3. tawnya0926

tawnya0926 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2016
    Essex CT
    Great advice. Thank you!

4. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    Your welcome:) good luck and congrats again on your eggs and chickens!

5. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    I have new layers too. A couple on the ground at first. Fake eggs in the nesting boxes fixed that. A few days of rubber eggs. Those have stopped and all is normal at the moment. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by