First Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tamiep, Nov 6, 2016.

1. tamiep

tamiep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2016
    Oswego, IL 60543, USA
    I have 8 chickens, not sure who laid these, but May, the Cornish X that Rural King sold me as a Leghorn, seems very protective of them. She's a huge bird and it takes effort for her to climb up and down the ramp for the coop, but she kept doing it to check on those eggs. When I took the eggs, I put the fake eggs back so she had something to tend. (Everyone keeps telling me to kill her, but she is healthy and happy. She just walks like an obese person. If she were human, she'd probably weight 350lbs). This is her in the pics. She was super thirsty when we discovered her with these eggs. She was getting frustrated with the nipples on the bucket and we had to give her a bowl of water. What are the chances that these are hers?

Anyway, there were 4, but one was smashed. The shells probably aren't has hard as they should be yet. They are small, med, and large (normal size). Should you eat the first ones?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congrats on getting those first eggs and thanks for the pictures. There's nothing wrong with eating the first eggs. Enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Congratulations! The first eggs are always the most egg-citing!!!

If she seems happy and healthy, I wouldn't think about culling her. I have one hen in particular who must be a good 2 pounds above the average for her breed, but she does great. Some girls are just a bit bigger than others. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. chelsiemom

chelsiemom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    Yucaipa, CA
    You have a beautiful yard! Looks like a park.

5. tamiep

Jun 3, 2016
    Oswego, IL 60543, USA
    Thank you. That is actually a campground. We had the chickens at our house, but when I called the township, they told me that we could not have them. We have a camper at a campground that's only 10 minutes away, and some of the people who live at the campground full-time have chickens, so we took them out there. We go out twice a day to let them out and close them up.

After talking to the guy at the township, I looked into it and never actually found any ordinance that addressed backyard chickens, so I think he lied to me. So, we might bring them here for the winter, because it's going to be a pain in the *** going out there when it's snowy.

I just worry about them getting stressed from being moved, especially May, being the meat chicken with potential health issues. As I said, she seems fine outside of being gianormous.

6. tamiep

Jun 3, 2016
    Oswego, IL 60543, USA
    Thank you. May is actually a meat chicken and she probably weighs 15lbs. I have not weighed her, but that is our estimate. The other girls feel like air compared to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by