First Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sebloc, Nov 10, 2016.

1. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    (Questions below)
    Hello! Here's about how we got our first eggs about 20 minutes ago :D

I went outside to check on the ole coop. Since everyone was blocking the entrance into the run, I decided to look inside the coop through the egg boxes. I was surprised to pop it open and find 2 eggs!

I believe it was one of our barred rocks who decided to come over and brag about her accomplishment. We've waited so long! They're about 28-29 weeks old right now. I guess this goes to show that you have to be patient!

Here's some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So stoked! Thanks for everyones help! And to anyone who hasn't received their first eggs yet, be patient. They'll come soon!

PS: do these look normal for a first egg? :D
    PSS: What should I do with them after?
    PSSS: Anything I should know?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your first eggs :woot It's always so exciting to find those little treasures in the nest box and it never gets boring!

They look perfectly normal to me :D
    When you say "what should I do with them after?" Do you mean the eggs? If so cook them up and eat them :drool
    Anything you should know ~ If the eggs don't come regular try not to worry. Sometimes new layers can be sporadic in laying until they have their laying machines in full working order. If your ladies are acting normal, eating, drinking and look healthy they will be fine.

Good luck and I hope you have more delicious eggs soon :clap

3. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Oh sorry wasn't descriptive enough :(

I meant to say how long can you have them out, how long until you can't use them, etc. I thought you didn't have to refridgerate them and they could sit out for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by