First Eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SheenaHinn, Jan 18, 2017.

1. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    I have to say, I am surprised and REALLY REALLY excited to find these in the coop this morning! My chicks came as little teeny babies the second week in September. I wasn't expecting them to start laying until late February or March. Woooo Hoooo! It was quite a raucous out there too. I think they were just as surprised as me! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

How exciting! Its always such a surprise to get your first eggs, and usually they come unexpectedly...[​IMG] Theres something really sweet about those tiny first eggs, huh?

-Mustang

1 person likes this.
  3. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    Then to top it off, I went out to fluff their litter and shazam!!! ANOTHER ONE!!! [​IMG]

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay! Go hens! [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow just over 4 months old....sexlinks?
    Not much more raucous than a bunch of new layers..haha!

6. pclark17

pclark17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Western Kentucky
    Congratulations! My three are at about 15 weeks, I have noticed a lot of scratching and placing of wood shavings exactly where the girls want them to be. We are going to open our nest boxes probably this weekend, add a golf ball or two and begin the waiting game. My two boys ask me every day when those chickens are going to leave us some eggs and it is hard trying to get a 4 and 2yr old to be patient. Haha looking forward to when we can share our first surprise with everyone.

7. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    Although I'm not sure which ones actually did the laying, I have Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Red Star?, and Barred Rock. I had to laugh when I finally realized what the commotion was. At first I thought I had a predator in there or something! hahaha!

8. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    Oh, they'll have so much fun!!!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    Really. Good to know! Hopefully the majority of them won't be plopping them out for another month or two. The reason I chose the month I got them was because I didn't want to deal with coping with the possibility of frozen eggs my first year. So I thought if I got them in September they'd be fairly grown by the time the snow hits and temps fell and could handle the cold better. Then when March rolled around they could lay eggs till their hearts' content! March here in Montana still gets cold, but the temperatures don't usually hang in the negatives for very long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by