First eggs

Beccaria

Chirping
Jul 17, 2018
Central FL
20181104_084219.jpg
I haven't been very vigilant of the nest boxes in the past couple days so I'm uncertain when they were laid. Found them while I was cleaning the coop hidden deep in the bedding. I'd like opinions on if they both are from the same hen. Did a butt check on all my girls and the only one that had all the signs was my EE. The white is a large store egg.

Congratz on the eggs. Id say two different eggs, eggs "99% of the time dont change colors" unless it has the blue egg gene. Or if something is wrong with the egg and it doesnt develop properly and is missing the shell.. ect.. but when chickens start laying or start back laying after a molt the first egg is sometimes slightly different than the rest they lay.

You can notice how the top egg is a little more elongated, that usually tells me its a new layer

I'm sorry I meant to write down that they're all pullets. EE's are a bit over 23 weeks, RIR's 20 and GSL's 16. The with the buttchecks the closest one to the proper finger widths other than the EE was a RIR. About 1 1/2 fingers by 2 1/2 fingers but I didn't get an eyeful of her vent like Stella's obvious wide and moist vent.

This is my definite layer.
20181104_084607.jpg

This is my possible second layer
20181104_084818.jpg

My little d'uccle had the same widths between her pelvis bones as the pullets two-thirds her size so I'm hoping that shes getting close. She's also 23 weeks give or take.
With them being new layers I figured the plumbing needed some warming up so there'll be a few wonky eggs in the bunch. The color is what threw me off. Thanks for all the comments :)

I'm sorry I meant to write down that they're all pullets. EE's are a bit over 23 weeks, RIR's 20 and GSL's 16. The with the buttchecks the closest one to the proper finger widths other than the EE was a RIR. About 1 1/2 fingers by 2 1/2 fingers but I didn't get an eyeful of her vent like Stella's obvious wide and moist vent.

This is my definite layer.
View attachment 1580969

This is my possible second layer
View attachment 1580981

My little d'uccle had the same widths between her pelvis bones as the pullets two-thirds her size so I'm hoping that shes getting close. She's also 23 weeks give or take.
With them being new layers I figured the plumbing needed some warming up so there'll be a few wonky eggs in the bunch. The color is what threw me off. Thanks for all the comments :)
Beautiful flock!! :love

I agree. Two of your girls have started to lay. Now the trick is to get them to do it in the nest boxes!
Do you have ceramic eggs in nice private nest boxes?

They were buried in the nest boxes. I have 2 brown ceramic eggs that are marked with sharpie. I saw the first egg and thought I forgot to take the fakes away. There was 1 egg in each nesting box so that's one hurdle I won't have to jump thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom