1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbottom, Feb 7, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    are the first eggs usually get really small, small and deformed, big, big and deformed. what usually happens with first eggs?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    small with a bit of blood.

3. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ok i will be prepared for blood

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yup.. smallish... with a blood streak..
    blood should not be there after egg 2 or so and it might take a while for the size of the egg to be consistant.. some are small, some are huge, some shells are deformed, some have no shell, double yolks.. etc...

5. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i got my first egg from her today it wasnt that small but wasnt that big either it had a little bit of blood

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Our first layers started dropping med-large eggs. The others started smaller.
    Some blood, but not too much.

7. DowntownChickens

DowntownChickens New Egg

Feb 7, 2009
    hijacking....

how small is small? I have got about 6 tiny tiny quail size eggs from my hen. How long should that last? It has been about 2 weeks since she started.

8. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    oh wow thats really really small and ide give it another another week before the size starts picking up if not 1 then 2

9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I've got some young Self Blue hens 1 has started to lay, her first egg was small but she is OEGB so their eggs are small anyways.. but there was a lil blood.. Ive got 4 hens and 1 Roo not sure of ages think they are all young. Had one other egg from them but It busted temps was in the single digits that day. The one I got I put in the bator, I candled lastnight couldn't really tell anything yet on it.. although i don't think I should have too high of hopes on it, normally dont get good results with first eggs...

10. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    My first eggs were not much different than the eggs I am getting now but they were a little smaller. But they still tasted great I had no blood spots or streaks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by