First eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JetBlack, Jul 25, 2010.

1. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Found 8 in a nest box the chickens made, on their own. I can sorta tell which ones are the Bantams' [​IMG] RIRs are somewhat larger.... somewhat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Mom got this for me, so I had to put all the eggs in there and take a pic, so she could see it [​IMG] That's what sons have to do.

[​IMG]

2. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    i also go my first egg but yesterday just an amazing feeling isn't it!! you put in so much time and effort into raising these little lives then one day they grow up and give you back so much more. hope you will be seeing that many eggs every day. [​IMG]

3. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:Perfectly put! I feel great! Up until now, they have been just chickens. Little feathery children/pets, eating my food and providing nothing outside of entertainment.

I gave them some raisins as a treat. Atta chicken!

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Hello niehbor we live just south of the spokane valley we are still waiting for our first eggs GRRR!! congrats on your first eggs at least i know its not the heat thats stopping them from laying. P.S how manly do you feel carrying that egg basket LOL I will probebly end up with one cuter than that to have to carry around lol

5. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:When did you get your chicks? Mine were mid-March and laid right at 20 weeks. It's also possible you are like me, and if they free-range, you just haven't stumbled on the nest. I walked by that thing countless times before spotting the big, fat chicken in it! Can you imagine an egg in the lawn, going bad and then you hit it with the mower? Eesh.

And yeah. When I carry the egg basket, I feel a little gay. I guess that's normal. It's like a purse, with eggs, in the shape of a bird. Geez. I found it's better if I don't use the handles. I'm just glad it doesn't have glitter on it.

Don't let your wife buy the egg basket. It'll be pink, with butterflies on. Little hearts and sparkles, no doubt. Possibly as much as unicorns [shudder].

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Congratulations! They're sneaky little devils hiding them on you, aren't they? And you're a good son for taking the photo of the eggs in the basket for your mom. Sweet. [​IMG]

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:When did you get your chicks? Mine were mid-March and laid right at 20 weeks. It's also possible you are like me, and if they free-range, you just haven't stumbled on the nest. I walked by that thing countless times before spotting the big, fat chicken in it! Can you imagine an egg in the lawn, going bad and then you hit it with the mower? Eesh.

And yeah. When I carry the egg basket, I feel a little gay. I guess that's normal. It's like a purse, with eggs, in the shape of a bird. Geez. I found it's better if I don't use the handles. I'm just glad it doesn't have glitter on it.

Don't let your wife buy the egg basket. It'll be pink, with butterflies on. Little hearts and sparkles, no doubt. Possibly as much as unicorns [shudder].

WE got ours 3rd week of march no eggs yet . They dont free range so they arnt hiding them they are just lazy im thinking. I am worriedabout this egg basket deal so maybe a good thing they are not laying yet LOL hope you can get them to lay in nest boxes instead of easter egg hunt daily.

8. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I threw out some Dungeness crab shells, for the chooks to gnaw on. They've eaten about one whole crab's worth! I think Rosauers has them for $4.99 a pound and you get 2 for the price of 1! I bet they'd give you the top shells that they pull off when cleaning the crabs for you.

I bake them at 400 degrees, for 1/2 hour to dry and sterilize them, before tossing them in a pile for the chickens. I used to dry egg shells (and peel out the inner layers) and pulverize them, to mix with the feed but they didn't seem to like it that way. Seems like they made good eggs, on the first try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by