First eggS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lorije1, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Yes... eggS, plural
    While I have been haunting nesting boxes to see that treasured first egg, SOMEBODY (or multiple somebodies) has been laying behind a pile of cinder blocks in the corner of my privacy fence!!! I saw my Barred Rock Frick wander over there and disappear. She has been out of the run the last couple days when I get up in the morning, so I started to suspect some mischief (yes, I am kind of slow).

Well... when she left her hidey hole and I checked, there were NINE eggs!!!!
    [​IMG]

Now... questions(s). they are all small pullet sized eggs - how many small eggs do they lay? 3 are a little darker than the others, but not by much. Could they be from one hen and the others from someone else?

Sneaky chickens.

2. Lorije1

Mar 13, 2010
    any ideas about if this is one chicken or more laying?

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Hard to say.....I have noticed that two of my girls are very consistent with the color/shade of their eggs. The others not so much. You may have more than one laying.....Any behaviors that would indicate more than your one girl is laying (hanging out near the nest, squatting, getting on & off nest or actually sitting for a while...)? How long has your girl had access to the spot she is laying in? If she has only been out to that area for a few days you have more than one laying hen. Maybe you can keep your chickens that are laying age close to the coop/run so they are near nestboxes where you can check for eggs and see how many per day you get? Congrats on the first eggs though!!!!!!

4. Lorije1

Mar 13, 2010
    yeah that is the main problem... I let them out in the yard every morning so all 15 have access. I only have the 2 BRs and 2 golden comets that I think are old enough to lay... and only the 2 BR have the bright red combs and squatting going on. I am guessing the crazy things have been laying for a few days now and I just got lucky in catching her today!

ETA - I have 2 Brahma's that are the same age as the BR, but my understanding is they start laying later / older, is that right? They have absolutely no new color to their combs,e tc

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by