First Eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happycowdog, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I got my first egg from my brahma!! I know I was very impatient, but just Friday I went and bought three laying silver laced Wyandotte's from a little girl in 4H. I wanted some eggs! My brahama's weren't laying and they were 21 weeks old. Finding your first egg is like finding treasure!

We got an egg from one Wyandotte on Saturday morning. But it just wasn't as exiting to me since the brahmas were my first hens and I raised them from chicks. Well, this morning I was cleaning out the coop and I found a really small egg on the floor, it was so cold it was almost frozen. I noticed too that it appeared to be powdery colored. The egg we found Saturday from the Wyandotte was much larger. I figured it was probably layed sometime yesterday since it was so cold.

Today my brahma hen was missing so I looked in the coop and there she was in a nesing box with her egg!! I think the cold egg I found was hers too, so she probably started laying yesterday! I felt bad taking it as she made some sounds of protest. I am sure it is fertile as my EE roo won't leave her alone. I got him thinking he was a her as I only wanted hens, no roo's. I just have to remember that when I pluck an egg out from under my hens! Now I am waiting for the other brahma to lay one. I had no idea the eggs would be so small. Will they get bigger?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    cool all hens eggs will get bigger i got ont really small.just look at this one [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Now that is teenie! Which chicken did you get it from?

4. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    no clue. i think this one [​IMG] it actually had a yolk

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote::O You must have stolen that from my silkie !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by